Friday, January 17, 2014

After the appointment

Welcome back. After days of silence, you get treated to 3 posts in one day.  Aren't you just special?

The appointment with the dietitian went very well.  It was very productive and informative.

First off, the weigh in.   I was about what I was when I was last there, but still up from my logged weight.   I told her all about the holidays and the knee.   We discussed it all and she pointed out I should not be beating myself up.   I still have done well and even mentioned notes from my PCP about how awesome I'm doing.    

We went over how badly I was eating since Thanksgiving and how my knee has hindered all my usual work outs: walking and my bike.  
I told her I was optimistic as I had a shot today and that I should be back on my feet soon. We spoke about getting me to a pool on the bad days. There is a pool in the rehab/rec facility practically across the street from us that is $7 a pop.   I am going to start TRYING to visit that as well.

Secondly, we discussed my diet and how I'm starving all the time.  We went over everything I eat and I mentioned some of the things I was struggling with (chocolate) and needing to get refocused.   Something I learned in our discussion that apparently I'm taking in too many carbs, which is a big reason I'm probably still hungry all the time.   

She made some awesome suggestions and I'm going to incorporate them into my eating plans.   One of the suggestions was a new Protein shake.   It has a few more calories than I have been taking in BUT it has 30 grams of Protein. The ones I had been taking only had 12 so this, if I like them, should work.   Plus they are chocolate and we're hoping this helps with my chocolate cravings.

Additionally I'm changing one of my snacks.  I eat pretzel crisps (small bag = 110 calories).   We're switching out those for PB filled pretzels.   2 less on the amount I can have plus 20 more calories BUT...this is a big but, higher protein.     

Another change we're implementing is I'm going to start having a hard boiled egg with my yogurt in the morning.   This will bring on more protein and hopefully leave me feeling fuller.

If I still run into issues, by my next visit, I will discuss with her being put on this special diet.  It's an "intense" short term physician monitored low carb diet. From what it sounds like, it's Atkins induction on steroids.   This would help me get my kick started into weight loss again.    I'd rather not but it is an option. I'm still NOT choosing the surgical route.  That is last resort for me.   

Thirdly, before the mini blizzard hit, I was able to walk the girl.   She was quite happy to be out and about.   It wasn't one of our long ones as I didn't want to push the knee and truthfully, it was effing cold.   I did do it however and with 22 minutes to midnight, I'm sitting on 9200 steps.   Way to go me.  I haven't hit this high in ages.   

I most likely will not be getting more steps this weekend if history repeats itself. Usually the day after my shot, my knee is so painful and swollen, I don't do much.
I can tell right now that it's starting to act up again.    Fingers x'd.  

I'm hopeful and we'll see how focused I'll be starting tomorrow morning.

Have a good night everyone....

No comments:

Post a Comment