Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Prejudice- WLS P1

Today’s subject is surgery- particularly bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery (WLS).

One thing I have learned since I began this process is just how prejudiced people are against people who have this surgery.  
I've heard it described as the “easy way out”.  I've heard from people who know someone who had surgery and then they “gained the weight back” or "they found a way to cheat" so on and so forth.
It was surprising to me just how many people have an opinion on this, especially when it does not affect them.  Most of these individuals are quite vocal in expressing their opinions as well.

It makes me mad actually. Regardless of whether or not I go through with the surgery, this is MY decision. This is my health.  My body!   It’s one thing to voice your opinion because you care, but it’s another to voice it just because you have an opinion on the whole WLS.  

I want you to understand for most, this is not “the easy way out”; far from it actually.  While there are those few who ruin the view of WLS but for most, this is by far no easy way out.
Prior to my initial appointments, I did quite a bit of research. Additionally, I've joined an online support group for bariatric surgery.  

First off, many are like me, health reasons led to the weight gain. The weight gain causes more health issues making physical activity limited or impossible.   Prior to my lifestyle changes, standing and/or walking for more than five minutes was excruciating. The pain started in my lower back and radiated out down by butt and into the back of my legs.  It would be so painful I felt like I would throw up.   The weight on my knee, which is almost bone on bone, would be painful.  

Then there is the other group who tend to have food issues. They overeat, stress eat, emotional eat, etc.  The problem with food is what led to their weight gain.  I’m not judging as I have occasionally been an emotional eater.  

There are some who may have the surgery to avoid having to work out or change their eating, but there choice to have the WLS is not the easy way out.

Based on what I've learned, this is a major lifestyle change.   I’m mostly going to talk about the RNY, also known as the gastric bypass, the most ‘severe’ of the surgeries.  

Your initial consultation involves tests: EKG, Ultrasound, Blood work, & a psychological test to determine your qualifications as a patient.  You meet with a Psychologist, BMI Physician, Surgeon, & Nutritionist. They all must sign off on your surgery.

Depending on insurance or physician requirements most are put on a diet prior to the clinic or hospital signing off on them having surgery. This serves a few purposes.  1-allows the surgeon to have more room to work with and 2-preps the patient to start eating in a way that is more in line with how they will after surgery.

If you meet the prerequisites given to you, the physicians involved sign off on your surgery , your ‘case’ is sent to insurance.  
If you're approved, then the clinic will contact you to schedule your surgery date.

A week or two prior to your surgery, patients are put on an all liquid diet.  This is to help clean them out.

After surgery, while in the hospital (average 3 days), the patient is put on a clear liquid diet.
Once they’re released and home, they are placed on an all liquid diet for about two weeks.  Many can barely intake water and have to force themselves to do this.

After that is the puree phase. About 2 weeks on pureed food. This helps the stomach heal.  
During all these phases, they’re also supposed to work on getting in protein.

After this point, they can slowly begin introducing food.  

Because the stomach has been re-routed, there is mal absorption of vitamins’ and protein. To make up for the loss of vitamins, the patient now must take a multitude of vitamins for the rest of their life.  When they eat or drink, their primary focus is to eat with plenty of protein. There is no pill for protein and must focus on that.

In order to insure that a person is getting protein, they have to change the way they eat. No water 30 mins before, during or 30 mins after a meal. Water takes up space and now there is much less room and the need for protein, liquids should be avoided.

Additionally, no carbonated beverages ever! The carbonation expands the stomach.  That will pretty much make the whole surgery void.

Each individual handles surgery differently. Some are able to eat certain allowable foods while others can’t.   Example: Eggs.  Eggs are encouraged. However for some, their body will not accept them.  Others can enjoy them with no issues.

Items with high fat content and lots of sugar are to be avoided.  The body can no longer handle them as it once did.   When the body intakes something it cannot process, the patient experiences “Dumping”.  It pretty much is what it sounds like. The body wants to dump what was consumed.  Severe cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, and even hospitalization occur and lasts hour.
From what I have read, it is awful. So how is this the easy way out?

They have to give up all sorts of foods.  There is no “cheating”.
I will admit there are those who find ways to eat and eat wrong.  That is a small number of the whole.  I don’t think that the rest should be so harshly judged for choosing surgery.  Until you are in their shoes, don’t judge.

About three months after the surgery, hair loss. Almost all patients lose hair because they are not getting enough protein.

Of course there is also the excess skin that many have due to the quick weight loss.


I have more on this but I’ll have that in a second post later this week.








No comments:

Post a Comment